Spring Showers Bring Mold Risks

During this time of year water intrusion into the home from rains often causes mold growth. Major leaks resulting in collapsed ceilings, etc. are obvious and usually handled quickly. If wet materials are removed and effective drying measures are started within the first 24 hours mold growth can usually be prevented.This is a service that BCS is very experienced in.

Mold grows quickly, and if drying has not been started within three days of the leak there is almost always significant mold growth. It is the slow leaks, the relatively minor leaks, that can be the most insidious. Many times they are not even noticed, but the ceiling and wall cavities become moist and mold starts to grow. The next shower results in more water intrusion and more mold growth. Wall and ceiling cavities, being closed systems, can remain wet for weeks without professional drying.

Many times the first indication a person has of mold is that distinctive mold odor or the onset of respiratory problems, which can occur weeks after the first leaks.

Whether you notice a visible leak or just detect an indoor air quality problem, a moldy odor, rapid response is important. It is similar to when a warning light on your car comes on. It is less expensive to have it repaired at that point than to put it off, which often results in further damage. The same applies to mold remediation. The longer the mold is permitted to grow and the farther the water travels then the more extensive and expensive the mold remediation will need to be. It is best to “nip it in the bud” and minimize the loss and minimize the disruption to your life. That is our goal here at BCS too. See what our clients have to say about us at YELP Reviews