YOU CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) published a report entitled “Mold Prevention Strategies and Possible Health Effects in the Aftermath of Hurricanes and Major Floods” which concluded that “excessive exposure to mold-contaminated materials can cause adverse health effects in susceptible persons regardless of the type of mold or the extent of contamination.”
Thankfully, Southern California rarely gets even remnants of hurricanes, but it does get heavy rains that can cause flash floods, especially in the mountains and foothills, affecting a fair number of homes each year. Building Cleaning Services, Inc. (BCS) knows from its 20-plus years of experience that you don’t need a flood to develop a mold problem, as given any amount of moisture, mold will grow and reproduce anywhere.
Mold is commonly found in ceiling tiles, on wood floors, behind wallboard, paneling, wallpaper and furniture, around a leaky water heater or from condensation around windows or pipes.
Surprisingly, some people may not even be aware they have mold and symptoms of mold-borne illness. Typical symptoms resemble those of an allergy-like hay fever: a runny nose, sneezing, red or itchy eyes, throat irritation and coughing. Those with asthma may have an asthma attack; while some people develop a skin rash. Mold may even cause a chronic infection of the sinuses, or sinusitis.
IT ALL STARTS WITH CONTROLLING MOISTURE
- Conduct inspections frequently. Look for evidence that water is causing problems, especially on ceilings and around windows. Do you see staining or wet spots on carpets, ceiling tiles or walls?
- Use the smell test: Does any area of the home smell musty? If so, do further exploration until you find the source.
- Check your humidity. If levels are above 60 percent, conduct additional evaluations to determine why.
The types of mold usually found in homes do not produce dangerous toxins but can create the types of symptoms described above in susceptible persons. BCS recommends getting a professional mold inspection done ASAP if you suspect mold. BCS can provide names of several independent mold inspectors who do excellent work.
If the inspection results show elevated mold spores, call BCS at 818-953-7100 to set an appointment to professionally remove all the mold. Our years of experience in mold removal will ensure you’ll be happy, because we do it right the first time!
“DO IT YOURSELF” MOLD REMOVAL IS NOT RECOMMENDED
There is a huge difference between getting rid of mold stains and getting rid of the mold itself. There are dozens of commercial “mold stain removers” on the market, of course. These promote themselves with statements such as:
- “Our mold and mildew stain remover oxidizes with powerful peroxide cleansers.”
- “We use enzymatic action to remove even the toughest mold stains.”
- “Stain eraser – perfect answer for making mold stains disappear.”
However, while these products sound great, notice they do not definitively say that they get rid of the mold. All legitimate mold remediation companies such as BCS have the purpose of removing the mold, not making it invisible. The only way you can protect your home environment and your health, if you have mold, is to call a professional such as BCS.
Professional mold remediation always requires some level of isolation of the contaminated materials, whether it be the home structure itself or the contents. Containment of the area or areas affected by mold is done because when mold is disturbed, the spores go airborne and could cross-contaminate other areas of the home if not contained. This is another key reason professional remediation is needed. The removal process is done under negative air pressure containment and all air is filtered through a HEPA air filter before being vented outside the home.
Mold-borne illnesses can be prevented. However, if you or someone you know is having any of the symptoms listed above, especially over a lengthy period of time, it is imperative you have a professional mold inspection, and if elevated levels of mold are found, call BCS at 818-953-7100 so we can get rid of it.