Flowers Are Good…Mold Is Bad


Both flowers and mold have certain things in common. Both are plants. Both tend to like warm, moist conditions. Both need a source of food. Both need water to grow. There are, however, major differences as well. Flowers need sunlight. Mold, on the other hand, likes dark areas and can be killed by bright sunlight .Both flowers and mold have distinctive odors, but while people find the scent of most flowers to be very pleasant I do not know of anyone who likes the smell of mold.

Molds actually are not bad. They do perform many important functions, but when they grow within one’s home they can be very harmful indeed.

Molds feed on building materials such as drywall and wood based products and can cause severe structural damage over time. Some molds feed on clothing and leather, destroying their value. Mold spores are very tiny and when inhaled can irritate the lungs causing asthma attacks in those who are susceptible. Some spores are toxigenic. Some spores can actually grow in human lungs, especially if the person has a weak immune system, creating conditions such as aspergillosis. Needless to say, one does not want mold growing in one’s home.

During this time of year water intrusion into the home from rains often causes mole growth. Major leaks resulting in collapsed ceilings, etc. are obvious and usually handled quickly. If wet materials are removed and effective drying measures are started within the first 24 hours mold growth can usually be prevented. This is a service that BCS is very experienced in. Mold grows quickly, and if drying has not been started within three days of the leak there is almost always significant mold growth. So, why do I say that April showers bring May mold? It is the slow leaks, the relatively minor leaks that can be the most insidious. Many times they are not even noticed, but the ceiling and wall cavities become moist and mold starts to grow. The next shower results in more water intrusion and more mold growth. Wall and ceiling cavities, being closed systems, can remain wet for weeks without professional drying. Many times the first indication a person has of mold is that distinctive mold odor or the onset of respiratory problems, which can occur weeks after the first leaks.

Whether you notice a visible leak or just detect an indoor air quality problem, a moldy odor, rapid response is important. It is like when a warning light on your car comes on. It is less expensive to have it repaired at that point than to wait and let further damage be done. The same applies to mold remediation. Drywall is very similar to a sponge. Over a period of days water can wick several feet in all directions. The longer the mold is permitted to grow and the farther the water is permitted to travel then the more extensive and expensive the mold remediation will need to be. It is best to "nip it in the bud" and minimize the loss and minimize the disruption to your life. That is our goal here at BCS, as well. See what our clients have to say about us at YELP Reviews.